Here's Rick Poyner writing about the exhibition Communicate at the Barbican. I am taking a GCSE graphics group to this in early October.
The byline for the article says:
From record covers to road signs, posters to packaging, graphics and typography touch every area of our lives. Forget fine art, Rick Poynor argues: it's design that is at the core of 21st-century visual culture.but interestingly Poyner starts his article talking about what life is like in a modern school!
I recall school as a largely non-visual experience. Walls were bare. All the emphasis was on words. You could study history without looking at a picture of anything. But at the schools I now visited, the walls were covered with projects made up of words and pictures, with fancy typefaces and everything mounted on coloured papers. In some corridors it was like moving through a three-dimensional collage of imagery and text. It seemed that learning had become graphic, tactile, involving. Frankly, I was envious.
0 comments:
Post a Comment