9 Oct 2004

stuff

Well it's been a long time since I blogged. I have been so overworking. Like going to bed after 2am and rising at 6.30am and then the next night and the next. Just lots of stuff happening all at once.

Anyway we did get to Rick Poynor's Communicate. I enjoyed it but it did have a museum quality to it. After all the stuff on show was designed to be used as well as looked at. What it wasn't designed to do was sit behind Plexiglas and be stared at, and drawn (as my students were asked to do with it.) what I am saying is that an exhibition of paintings would have more impact because the paintings are 'designed' to be confronted in a gallery. The graphics we looked at were not. So their impact was slower and took time to see. In way it was also invisible in that much of it is familar, as it has seeped into our consciousness through the ubiquity of advertising and graphics all around.

Many of my students went for the Designer's Republic stuff. even if it is 10 yrs old. They are good and a breath of fresh air. It was good to see Neville Brodie in context... Yes lots of good things.

I like the quote of Brodie to the effect that an emphasis on problem solving means you end up communicating the problem, rather than the idea/ product etc.

0 comments: