21 Jun 2005

Thinking ahead

I haven't blogged in a while but maybe I'll get going again. I am begining to think about next year's teaching and this is as good a place as any to post my thoughts and links.

I have a GCSE fine art group again - first time for two years having taught graphics - so I was trying to think about what doing fine art is about. Is it about sensation? trying to capture the essence of a feeling, experience or issue? Of course in planning a course I have got to teach my students practical skills: drawing, painting, printmaking and sculpture but I don't want those skills to define the teaching. I want the students to know why they are doing what they do - if possible. It has to be a structured course if they are to meet the assessment criteria but at the same time I want it to come from them. So if the course structure isn't wholly defined by technical skills what will I structure it through. We could use subject or genre as the basis for our projects eg still-life or landscape.

At my last school I experimented with the idea of defining projects by starting points. for instance: observed phenomena, imagination or memory, chance processes, social need, appropriation and I could do that again...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading some of your posts...trying to get some insight on art education. I am a recent BFA in Graphic Design and thinking of returning to school in order to teach. I would really like to ask some questions about your work. How did you begin teaching? What interested you first in a career in education? How often do you pursue your own creative work? sorry so many questions...and I have so many more.

Drawing Pad said...

My BFA was in Fine Art and although when I left school I wanted to be a a graphic designer the work I saw in art school was so slick I moved to back to the painters. I worked freelance for 4 years after art school before moving to teaching. I love it - despite some of the hassles... and I do try and mix in my own work as best i can. I really enjoyed my post graduate Teaching certificate course - a one year teacher training thing here in UK. Teaching Art is incredibly creative... and vicarious...
You can email me at zen56037 at zen dot co dot uk